Sunday, May 22, 2011

My dad and Marilyn visit FL!

Wow I can't believe it has been over 2 months since I last posted.  I guess since we finally had some visitors and something excited to post about it was time!  My dad and Marilyn got into town on Wednesday and left today and we had a wonderful time!  I got to do things in Winter Park / St. Augustine that I have never done before and it was so great to experience it with them.

On Thursday I had to work and they ran some errands since my Dad's Marine reunion is going to be in Orlando this year.  Once I got off work, we went to eat at 4 Rivers and I think they were pretty impressed!  My boss gave me the Friday off, so that was very nice, to spend with them.  We got up and decided to do the Winter Park Scenic Boat Tour.  We always see the signs for it on Park Ave. and have never done it.  Luckily we did the 10 AM tour because it was already really warm and there was no cover on the boat!  We have had really nice weather earlier in the week but boy did it heat up for the weekend.  The tour was neat and I got to learn alot about Winter Park and it's wealthy residents!  I can't remember them all but we got to see the founders of Wal-Greens winter home, the founders of Sinclair Oils homes, and what they say was Mr. Rogers house!  Which means I live in his neighborhood...sort of.

We got to learn alot about Rollins College and there is even a little public beach on the lake that I might have to lay out at some time.  The boat tour was a great way to see some of the homes and attractions in Winter Park.  Then we headed over to the Morse Museum of Art which has the largest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany's artwork.  He was brilliant.  Now, museums aren't really my thing but we had a wonderful lady that held a little tour and knew so much it made it interesting.  LC Tiffany is the son of the Tiffany & Co people so he had more money then he knew what to do with so he was able to use his creativeness and daddy's money to create amazing glass windows, jewelry, pots, and of course lamps!

I did get really hungry and tired at this point so we headed home for some lunch.  Our plan was to go to the Polasek Museum, but we ended up all taking a nap and it closed at 4 so we didn't make it.  Then we went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner and of course Jeremiah's for dessert.  We also drove around Winter Park for a little bit and did some exploring.  It was nice to spend a day with them, it has been a long time since I have been able to do that.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Kyle was out of town. We certainly missed him, but I enjoyed having them all to myself!  I'll always be a daddy's girl and it was nice to just hang out!

On Saturday we planned to spend the day in St. Augustine.  Since it is our nations oldest city, I knew my dad would love it.  We had such a great day!  We took the Old Town Trolley that took us everywhere, and you could get on and off at different stops and see an exhibit and then move on to the next one.  We saw the old jail, history museum,  the bridge of lions, Castillo de San Marcos Fort, the landing spot of Ponce de Leon, the oldest drug store, pirate museum, Flager College and Flager Memorial Church, San Sebastian Winery, and then headed to the beach to stick our feet in the water!  It was a busy day but we all learned a lot and go to see so much from our nations oldest city!  There are certainly a lot of stories there.  We were all exhausted when we got home, but my dad and I managed to stay up and watch the end of the Thunder / Mavs games, it was just like old times when we were roomies!

Dubbers and I got up this morning to take them to the airport.  These visits always go by way too fast and most people don't know that I always cry as I'm driving away after dropping people off at the airport.  It just never gets any easier.  But we dropped them off and my dad kissed my belly, which was really sweet.  This is one of two times he will get to see me pregnant with his grandson( oh yeah...I'm pregnant, not one for a big grand announcement).  They did buy baby payne some cute clothes and they are so tiny that I can't believe he will be that tiny.  and they are for a 3 month old. 

Thanks Dad and Marilyn for coming to visit us and our home!  I enjoyed getting to show you around and hang out for a couple of days!  They are coming back for Christmas, and planned on that before they knew we were pregnant.  So it will be nice to have them out there as we spend our first Christmas with our son!

1 comment:

  1. I like that you announced your pregnancy in parenthesis at the bottom of a blog:). So you:)

    ReplyDelete