Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shoot Straight Sunday

Today I shot a handgun for the very first time in my life.  I am 27 years old and was scared out of my mind.  If you know me, you know I am very paranoid.  I carry pepper spray and am always planning an escape route in the event I'm in a dangerous situation.  (hint: don't ever surprise me, it could get ugly).   I realize it's a problem, I just can't help it.  I've never lived alone and if I do have to spend the night by myself I leave every light in the house on, put my keys and peppery spray on my night stand, have an alarm and a dog.  (I know he's not terrifying but at least he has super hearing skills).  Even though we do not have guns, I figured I better know how to use one in case one of these paranoid scenarios actually happened to me!  I want to know how to use one if I ever need to know.

We went to a place called Shoot Straight in Apokpa.  It is a chain of gun ranges and some mom took her son to one of them last year and ended up shooting her 15 year old son and then herself. I had this thought in the back of my mind the entire time we were there (are you surprised).  We went with a friend of ours, John, who owns a couple guns.  We first went to Wal Mart to pick up some ammo and headed to the range.  Going into the gun range area was pretty intense.  I've never really head a gun fire in person, except at track meets I guess, and 14 other people shooting a gun right around you makes you jump.  It was really loud even with the ear things on.  Every time someone shot I jumped.  I had to get that under control before they put a gun in my hand.  I had no idea how to load the bullets, turn on/off the safety, or push the other button on the left that made it ready to fire.  As soon as the boys did all that for me I just grabbed the gun, aimed, and shot.  The first time was more powerful than I expected, but it was fun.  My hands were so sweaty I kept having to stop to dry them off.  I was scared it would slip out of my hands and I would shot my own leg! 

Here is my target!  I thought I did pretty good considering it was my first time.  The target was probably 15 feet in front of me, but still I managed to hit it!  I was pretty proud of myself. 



I can't remember the kind of gun I shot and Kyle is outside installing a new antenna into the X-terra (don't ask), but I'm sure he could tell you.  Maybe a 22 or 9 something.  Anyway, at least now I know how to pull the trigger of a gun if I ever need to.  And I am pretty sure my right hand and forearm are going to be sore tomorrow!

I can't believe it is almost March!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment